Many Steam users have reported error code 105. It is a widespread and well-known error, yet there is no suitable solution available on the internet despite its popularity. For many users, Steam Error Code 105 has been a significant issue and annoyance. Regularly, we face hurdles such as errors that prevent us from completing our adventurous trips. These issues become a part of our lives and aid in our development. But what if we get stopped and can’t figure out how to go beyond a roadblock? In that case, do not worry, as we have found the most accurate fix for the Steam error code 105.
Steam has been one of the biggest gaming platforms with over 95 million monthly active users. No gamer does not have Steam downloaded to their personal computer. All types and genres of games are available on Steam, from light-hearted adventure to violent action. Getting stuck while playing your favorite game because of some random error they do not even know about can be a triggering point for a lot of gamers. To save you from further frustration, we have built this guide for you.
Table of Contents
What is Error Code 105?
Despite being one of the most used gaming platforms to develop, create, and play games, Steam is known to be overflowing with errors. Steam Error code 105 is one of those many steam errors that Steam users encounter. According to users who have experienced this error, it used to pop up whenever they tried to open stores or communities tab on Steam. Some users have also reported that they were unable to even play a game.
As you can see, this is a rather annoying error and has been a pain in the neck for not just you but a lot of gamers. Now that we have understood what this error is about, let’s check out the reasons and fixes for this.
Similar Errors: Netflix Error Code: m7111-1935-107016 Fixed in 2021
Why Causes Steam Error Code 105?
After suffering from this error, you must be wondering, “Why exactly do I see this error?!”. To kill your curiosity, we have gathered several reasons why this must be popping up on your screen, every time you try to open something in Steam. Different groups of people, who have dealt with this error, have reported different reasons and solutions for this error. It is hard to pinpoint what exactly might be the cause of the error for you but we will try our best to make it clear what could be the reason for this annoying error code to pop up on your screen.
The most common reason for the error code 105 is an issue in the DNS configuration of your internet connection. There is no recognized reason why DNS settings on an internet connection become damaged or changed. However, it is said that sometimes the Steam client causes the DNS settings to be altered.
Another reason for getting this error could be the use of ad-blocking software or anti-virus software that includes an ad-blocking element. An Ad-blocking software blocks some of Steam’s components, making it impossible for Steam to work properly.
For another reason, you may want to check your internet connection’s speed. You can check your internet speed from the website, Speedtest.net. A slow internet connection is a fix for many users. The slow internet connection can cause an error in loading many Steam elements, ultimately allowing the client to generate random errors.
Lastly, your Steam client’s files may have somehow gotten corrupted, or the client is suffering from some bug. In both cases, the solution would be the same.
How to Fix Steam Error Code 105?
Different reasons come with different solutions. To fix this error once and for all, it is essential to first find the root cause of this error by understanding the reasons given above. If you’ve already figured out what’s causing the problem, we can go on to fixing it.
This error particularly stems from an issue in the DNS server. So, to get rid of the Steam Error Code 105, the first thing we can do is flush the DNS. This will turn your DNS settings to default, which is the best way to fix this error. You can do this very easily by following the steps given below:
- Search “Command prompt” or “Run” in your search bar.
- Open the app with the black rectangular icon. In most computers, it is known as “Command prompt,” but in some computers, it is also known as “Run”
- Type “ipconfig/flushdns” to flush all the DNS.
- Restart your computer
- Open Steam and play the game you want
Note: You can also press Windows + R key to open it.
If you are somehow getting an error that says something like this “ipconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command,” this basically means that you do not have the right path entered in your pc. It would be best if you fixed it as it can cause many other problems too. Follow the instructions given to add the ipconfig path variable to your computer.
Fixing “ipconfig not recognized” Error
- Type “Advanced system settings” in the search bar
- Click the “Environment variables” option and a new page will open
- Click the “Path” in the list and press edit. (You must edit the path in both sections, the user one and the system one.
- Select the “New” option
- Now, type “%systemroot%\system32” without the quotation marks of course.
- Restart your computer, laptop, etc.
- Now Flush the DNS as told above
- Restart your computer again
Note: Make sure to restart properly from the menu, not by pressing the power button or taking out the cord.
This method has helped a lot of people to recover from the Steam error code 105. Hopefully, this would fix it for you too.
More Errors like this: Error in file(file, “rt”): Cannot Open The Connection
Change DNS Server Address
As we have said multiple times before, the main reason this error shows up is if the DNS has been changed or altered without your knowledge of it. There is no saying what must have caused the DNS server address to be corrupted or changed but there is only one way to fix it. Do as told here carefully.
- Type “run” in the search bar of your Windows
- Now open the app named “run.” It has a small blue icon.
- Run app
- Type “ncpa.cpl” and press ok
- Identify which network you are using and open it. Do not open the one with the red cross. The ones with the red cross are not in use.
- Click properties. It will have an admin logo on it, so your user is the one that is the admin.
- Double click the “Internet protocol version 4”
- Change the “Obtain DNS settings automatically” to “Use the following DNS server addresses.
- The upper box type is 8, 8, 8, 8 and the lower box type 8, 8, 4, 4. This is the DNS server address of Google.
- Click ok and restart your computer
Disconnect From Other Devices
Connecting too many devices to a single internet router can cause the internet speed to decrease a lot. The speed divides amongst the users and slows it for everybody. This will make it hard for your computer to receive and send data properly to Steam’s server and causes error code 105 to show up. To fix this, you can at least disconnect the internet from the devices you are not currently using. Even though they are not in use, the background processes still work and consume the internet data. It will be best to disconnect the internet from these devices.
Restart Your Router
One of the best and easiest ways to fix slow internet would be to restart the router. The additional and worthless data that is stuck in the path and using all of the internets is cleared by restarting the router. It will instantly speed up your internet, and you will be able to play without any problem. To restart your router or modem properly, make sure to follow these steps:
- Disconnect the internet from the device you are using
- Now take out the power cord from the plug
- Wait for 5 minutes so that all the useless data that was being transferred has now disappeared
- Now, plug in the cord and wait for it to start properly
- Connect your device to the internet
- Try opening Steam and check if the error is still there.
Remove Ad-blocking Extensions
The ad-blocking extension may find your Steam to be harmful or spam. Therefore, you must disable and get rid of them from your browser. If you do not know how to do it, do not worry; just do as said:
- Open your browser
- Click the three dots on the top right part of your browser
- Now select the “More tools” options
- Note: This is for Chrome open “Add-ons” option for Firefox and “Extensions” for Microsoft Edge.”
- 5. Now click Extensions
- 6. Find the Ad-blocking extension and remove it
Close All the Ad-blocking Software
If the Ad-blocker is not in your extension, it may be installed as software on your computer. It can also be as a setting that is part of Anti-virus software. So, it would be better to close all the Anti-virus software too. These types of software cause more problems than solving issues, anyways. They have to be very useless if they can not differentiate between an ad and Steam.
- Press Ctrl + alt + del, and a blue Windows screen will open up.
- Click “Task Manager”
- Find the Ad-blocker and antivirus in the background processes
- Click the culprit and press end task
- Uninstall Ad-blocker
If disabling it was not enough, you will have to uninstall it. To make sure it does not interfere with Steam’s client anymore.
Similar Errors: The Torrent You Are Trying To Add is Already in The List
- Click the Windows logo on the bottom left corner of your screen
- Open Settings
- Select the “Apps” option
- Now, select the “Apps and Features” tab
- Scroll down and search for the Adblocker or the antivirus
- Click uninstall and wait till it is no more on your computer
If none of the above methods seem to be working for you, perhaps it is time to reinstall Steam. Reinstalling Steam will turn all your Steam settings to default and will most likely fix your issue once and for all. To do that, Uninstall Steam first by going to Settings < Apps < Apps and Features. Once it is uninstalled, click this link to download steam. Click install Steam and after the setup is downloaded run it to install Steam.
These were all the methods you can try out to fix Steam error code 105. This guide required a lot of hard work and time. We genuinely hope that you can benefit from this. Let us know in the comments what helped you fix the error.
Read how to fix Roblox error code 524.
Science3 years ago
How To Make a Dry Ice Bomb at Home? Risks and Precautions
Informative3 years ago
21 Amazing Fruits That Are Not Round
How to3 years ago
How to Put a Tampon On: Step by Step Guide
How to3 years ago
Here’s How to Know When The Oil Cartridge Is Empty
Informative3 years ago
Elf Ear Surgery: Cost, Procedure, and Risks
How to3 years ago
Fixed: The Torrent You Are Trying To Add is Already in The List
How to3 years ago
How To Thaw Frozen Pipes Underground
How to3 years ago
Solved: How to Change Your Age on TikTok? (2021)